Wide Bay in Pictures school competition #lovewidebay
Federal Member for Wide Bay, Llew O’Brien has launched a Wide Bay in Pictures competition for local schools, a selection of which will be printed on canvas and put on display in his Parliament House and Electorate Offices.
Mr O’Brien is inviting local school students to send him copies of their photographic and artistic pictures which highlight the diversity and beauty of Wide Bay.
“The walls of my Parliament House and Electorate offices are a perfect place to showcase the scenery and sights of Wide Bay – and help to promote the region to visitors and tourists,” Mr O’Brien said.
All school students in Wide Bay are invited to participate in the competition. Eight pictures will be selected, two pictures from the local government areas* in Wide Bay.
A cash prize of $200 will be donated to the school’s Parents & Citizens Committee for any selected picture. All students participating in the competition will receive a special certificate of appreciation.
“This competition encourages students to display their talent by taking photographs, or painting or drawing pictures of something that is special and unique about Wide Bay.
“From pristine beaches, historic towns, beautiful hinterland and stunning landscapes, Wide Bay in Pictures will provide a great opportunity to highlight all our region has to offer.
“I encourage students to be as creative as possible, from images depicting pre-European settlement through to the modern time, students can use their artistic talents to portray Wide Bay in a variety of styles.
“Wide Bay in Pictures will be an important conversation piece and enable people to see for themselves how appealing our region is, and the variety of attractions we have right on our doorstep.
“The tourism industry is a major driver of our regional economy, creating jobs and supporting other small businesses.
“The pictures will also be published on social media to help promote our region to the rest of the world, encouraging visitors to come here.
“I hope that iconic Wide Bay in Pictures will bring people to our region to experience the beauty and hospitality for themselves.
“The Wide Bay in Pictures competition is open to all school students from Wide Bay, and I hope that school children who share a passion for our region send in a picture of their favourite place in Wide Bay.”
Conditions of entry
Entry is open to all primary and secondary school students and limited to one picture per person.
- To enter, please email a copy of your photographic or artistic picture to with #lovewidebay in the subject line. Please include the students name, school name, school phone number, and the location of where the picture was taken together with the picture.
- *Two winners will be selected from each of the following Local Government Areas in Wide Bay: Fraser Coast Regional Council; Gympie Regional Council; South Burnett Regional Council and Cherbourg Aboriginal Shire Council combined areas; and Noosa Council and Sunshine Coast Council combined areas.
- There are 8 prizes of $200 available. The School’s Parents & Citizens Committee will receive $200 for a selected entry.
- The student must reside in the Wide Bay electorate and their school must be located in the Wide Bay electorate.
- All pictures must be taken in, or represent, the Federal Division of Wide Bay, please refer to the Australian Electoral Commission’s website
- Pictures may be posted on social media (Facebook/Twitter/Instagram) hashtag #lovewidebay with the first name of the photographer or artist and the location of the image.
- Pictures may be printed, reproduced or distributed electronically and there will be no payment for reproduction or redistribution.
- The closing date for entries is Friday, 10 February.