Wide Bay in Pictures art competition #lovewidebay
Picture this – your child’s art displayed at Parliament House. If your child is looking for a creative outlet in the school holidays, their artwork could adorn the office walls of Federal Member for Wide Bay, Llew O’Brien.
Mr O’Brien is inviting local school students to send him copies of their photographic and artistic pictures which highlight the diversity and beauty of Wide Bay, for a Wide Bay in Pictures competition.
Eight winning artworks will be printed on canvas and put on display in his Parliament House and Electorate Offices, with two winners from each local council area in the Wide Bay.
“This is a great project for school-age children during school holidays to capture something unique and special about Wide Bay, and send it in with a chance their work will be displayed in the Australian Parliament,” Mr O’Brien said.
The images will also be published on social media with the hashtag #lovewidebay to promote the Wide Bay to the rest of the world, and encourage people to visit the region.
“Wide Bay in Pictures will showcase not only the talent of our school students, but also our region’s pristine beaches to our historic towns, beautiful hinterland and stunning landscapes,” Mr O’Brien said.
“This competition is a great way to highlight the scenery and sights of Wide Bay – and help to promote the region to visitors and tourists.”
Mr O’Brien encouraged students to be as creative as possible, and use any artistic style they liked to portray their favourite place in the Wide Bay, from pre-European settlement through to the modern day.
“Wide Bay in Pictures will be an important conversation piece and enable people to see for themselves how appealing our region is, and the variety of attractions we have right on our doorstep.
“The tourism industry is a major driver of our regional economy, creating jobs and supporting other small businesses.
“I hope that iconic Wide Bay in Pictures will bring people to our region to experience the beauty and hospitality for themselves.”
Conditions of entry
• Entry is open to all primary and secondary school students and limited to one picture per person.
• To enter, please email a copy of your photographic or artistic picture to [email protected] with #lovewidebay in the subject line. Please include the student’s name, school name, school phone number, and the location of where the picture was taken together with the picture.
• *Two winners will be selected from each of the following Local Government Areas in Wide Bay: Fraser Coast Regional Council; Gympie Regional Council; South Burnett Regional Council and Cherbourg Aboriginal Council combined areas; and Noosa Council and Sunshine Coast Council combined areas.
• There are 8 prizes of $200 available. The School’s Parents & Citizens Committee will receive $200 for a selected entry.
• The student must reside in the Wide Bay electorate and their school must be located in the Wide Bay electorate.
• All pictures must be taken in, or represent, the Federal Division of Wide Bay, please refer to the Australian Electoral Commission’s website www.aec.gov.au/profiles/qld/wide-bay.htm
• Pictures may be posted on social media (Facebook/Twitter/Instagram) hashtag #lovewidebay with the first name of the photographer or artist and the location of the image.
• Pictures may be printed, reproduced or distributed electronically and there will be no payment for reproduction or redistribution.
• The closing date for entries is Friday, 10 February.