Wide Bay in Pictures art competition date extended
If your child is a budding creative genius, their artwork could adorn the office walls of Federal Member for Wide Bay, Llew O’Brien, at Parliament House in Canberra.
With more and more entries coming in, Mr O’Brien has extended the date for entries to his Wide Bay in Pictures competition, inviting local school students to send him copies of their photographic and artistic pictures which highlight the diversity and beauty of Wide Bay. Entries must be received by March 17.
Eight winning artworks will be printed on canvas and put on display in his Parliament House and Electorate Offices, with two winners from each local council area in the Wide Bay.
“This is a great project for school-age children to capture something unique and special about Wide Bay, and send it in with a chance their work will be displayed in the Australian Parliament,” Mr O’Brien said.
The images will also be published on social media with the hashtag #lovewidebay to promote the Wide Bay to the rest of the world, and encourage people to visit the region.
“Wide Bay in Pictures will showcase not only the talent of our school students, but also our region’s pristine beaches to our historic towns, beautiful hinterland and stunning landscapes,” Mr O’Brien said.
“This competition is a great way to highlight the scenery and sights of Wide Bay – and help to promote the region to visitors and tourists.”
Mr O’Brien encouraged students to be as creative as possible, and use any artistic style they liked to portray their favourite place in the Wide Bay, from pre-European settlement through to the modern day.
“Wide Bay in Pictures will be an important conversation piece and enable people to see for themselves how appealing our region is, and the variety of attractions we have right on our doorstep.
“The tourism industry is a major driver of our regional economy, creating jobs and supporting other small businesses.
“I hope that iconic Wide Bay in Pictures will bring people to our region to experience the beauty and hospitality for themselves.”
Conditions of entry
- Entry is open to all primary and secondary school students and limited to one picture perperson.
- To enter, please email a copy of your photographic or artistic picture to [email protected] with #lovewidebay in the subject line. Please include the students name, school name, school phone number, and the location of where the picture was taken together with the picture.
- *Two winners will be selected from each of the following Local Government Areas in Wide Bay: Fraser Coast Regional Council; Gympie Regional Council; South Burnett Regional Council and Cherbourg Aboriginal Council combined areas; and Noosa Council and Sunshine Coast Council combined areas.
- There are 8 prizes of $200 available. The School’s Parents & Citizens Committee will receive $200 for a selected entry.
- The student must reside in the Wide Bay electorate and their school must be located in the Wide Bay electorate.
- All pictures must be taken in, or represent, the Federal Division of Wide Bay, please refer to the Australian Electoral Commission’s website www.aec.gov.au/profiles/qld/wide-bay.htm
- Pictures may be posted on social media (Facebook/Twitter/Instagram)
- Pictures may be printed, reproduced or distributed electronically and there will be no payment for reproduction or redistribution.
- The closing date for entries is Friday, March 17.