Extra assistance available for fire-hit Noosa
The people worst-hit by the Queensland bushfires will be given an extra hand with the activation of additional support payments available in the Noosa local government area.
Federal Member for Wide Bay said Australian Government Disaster Recovery Payments (AGDRP) are now available, with payments of $1000 for eligible adults and $400 for eligible children.
“This payment is on top of the jointly funded Disaster Recovery Allowance,” Mr O’Brien said.
“The ferocity of the fires that tore through Peregian Beach was no match for the strength of the emergency services which fought the blaze, and the community groups which generously came to the aid of those in need.
“I thank the everyone involved in combatting the fires, who kept people and their properties safe, cared for animals and wildlife, and opened their homes to provide shelter.
“Anyone who has been severely affected should contact the Department of Human Services to check their eligibility.”
Advice on the Department of Human Services website indicates that to be eligible for a payment one of the following conditions needs to be met:
• you have been seriously injured
• you’re the immediate family member of an Australian citizen or resident who died
• your principle place of residence has been destroyed or must be demolished
• the interior of your principal place of residence has sustained major damage
• damage from the fire has exposed the interior of your principal place of residence to the elements
• your principle place of residence has been declared structurally unsound
• the interior of your residence has been affected by sewerage contamination
• you’re the principal carer of a dependent child who has experienced any of the above.
For more information, people can call DHS on 180 22 66, visit www.humanservices.gov.au/disaster or go to a DHS Service Centre.
More information on Australian Government disaster assistance can be found at www.disasterassist.gov.au.
For Mr O’Brien: Clementine Norton (07) 4121 2936